RAW FEEDING QUESTIONS
What are some of the benefits of feeding raw food to my pet vs. commercial pet food?
- Healthier, shinier coats
- Allergy relief (less itching & scratching, less runny eyes)
- Improved dental health (less tartar build-up on teeth, fresher breath)
- Regularity in digestion (fewer, less. smelly stools, less gas)
- More even temperament (fewer energy spikes)
- Easier weight management
If my dog has allergies to certain proteins, can they have it in raw form?
It's not uncommon for dogs to be allergic to specific proteins when cooked (kibble, canned food, etc.) but not have the same allergic reaction to the protein in its raw form. This is not to say that an allergy can't still occur, but there's a much greater chance of your dog not having a reaction to certain proteins in their raw state before being processed.
If my pet has allergies, will this help them?
Depending on the dog's allergies, it may help! The raw diet, when done properly, has been known to improve pets' overall skin and coat health. Food allergies make up a very small portion of actual allergy cases, environmental allergies are much more common.
How do I get started on raw?
There are two ways to go about switching your pet over to raw food. You can do it gradually or cold turkey.
- If you choose to transition your pet over gradually, you'll do it in stages. You will be feeding both their current food and raw food, but in varying amounts during different times of the day. We recommend gradually decreasing the amount of kibble (or other current food) fed in the morning, while you increase the amount of raw food given in the evening. Raw meaty bones (Turkey Necks, Chicken Necks, Chicken Backs, Duck Necks) can be introduced once your pet has been on full raw for 7-10 days.
- Example: Think of your pet's daily intake adding up to 100% Feed about 75% of their daily food intake (this would be their current food) in the morning and the remaining 25% of their food intake will be raw, fed to them in the evening. Every five or so days, slightly decrease to 50% / 50%. Then after another 5 days you'll be feeding 25% of their current food in the morning, and the remaining 75% raw at night.
Cold Turkey Method:
- If you choose to switch your pet to raw cold turkey, we recommend fasting your dog for 24 hours (be sure they have plenty of fresh water). This will help clear out their current food from their system. Start by feeding Oma's Pride Signature mixes (for dogs) or Oma's Pride Complete Meals. We recommend these specific products as they contain bone and will help the digestive tract prepare to eat whole bones. Many people start by feeding chicken and/or turkey as they are mild proteins and easier to digest. Raw meaty bones (Turkey Necks, Chicken Necks, Chicken Backs, Duck Necks) can be introduced once your pet has been on full raw for 7-10 days.
In addition, we strongly recommend addition one of our daily supplements (digestive performance or fundamental vitality) as they contain probiotics to help regulate the digestive tract.
How raw food should I give my pet?
* answer here *
How do I serve raw food to my pet?
Keep frozen until ready to use. We recommend letting the food thaw out in the refrigerator prior to portioning or feeding and use within 4 days. It's best to put the food in some sort of washable container so if any leakage happens in the thawing process, it's an easier clean up. If there is leftover product after portioning you may refreeze for later use. Discard any uneaten product.
Does Oma's Pride food need to be cooked? Can it be cooked?
No, our food is meant to be served in its raw form. Cooking the food can lead to the loss of essential amino acids and enzymes. In addition, cooking raw food that contains bone can be dangerous, as cooked bones can splinter and cause injury.
What about bacteria or parasites in raw meat?
Along with pets' digestive systems being more acidic, meaning bacteria has trouble surviving, Oma's Pride uses phage technology during the food production process, which reduces harmful bacteria such as salmonella and listeria, leaving only the beneficial bacteria. Oma's Pride also uses only all-natural, top quality products that are fit for human consumption before they are ground together. We follow our rigorous HACCP program while adhering to USDA regulations. We always recommend practicing safe food handling techniques, much like when you prepare meat for yourself.
Will my pet get digestive upset if I switch them from dry food to raw food?
Unless a dog is prone to having a sensitive stomach, they will not see any digestive upset. We recommend starting with mild, lower fat proteins (chicken or turkey) to begin the transition process. Proteins such as beef or lamb are higher in fat, and when introduced quickly, are more likely to cause digestive upset.
* See our answer about transitioning pets to raw above for additional information.
How do I introduce a new protein into my pet's diet?
We recommend introducing a protein slowly over the course of a few days. You can do this either feeding it by itself, or by adding it in as part of their meal. Just make sure to monitor their digestion to see if they're tolerating the protein well.
Can I feed my pet other types of food while feeding them raw?
* answer here *
Does Oma's Pride offer FREE shipping? (updated 3/4/22)
We are proud to offer FREE standard* shipping on online orders totaling $149+**. See below for clarification.
Starting March 1st, 2022, specific delivery locations requiring Fedex Express Shipping (2nd Day Air, or Next Day Air) will no longer be shipped free of charge (excluding subscriptions). Any shipments that require Express Shipping will be paid by the customer, and visible in your shopping cart.
* STATES THAT WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR FREE SHIPPING *
- California, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska, Hawaii.
- The states below are dependent on zip code. Check your cart at checkout, or check with our customer service team via LiveChat for specifics.
- Texas (most of the state does qualify for FREE shipping rules, but a few zip codes are excluded)
- New Mexico, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota
* ORDERS ELIGIBLE FOR FREE SHIPPING INCLUDE *
- Orders with only dry products (treats, chew, supplements, grooming, merchandise) with a cart value of $149+.
- Orders with only raw products (anything that ships frozen) with a cart value of $149+ in a FedEx Home Delivery location (1-3 days, see map below).
- Orders with a combination of raw and dry products with a cart value of $149+ in a FedEx Home Delivery location (1-3 days, see map below).
- All standard subscriptions and custom subscriptions with a cart value of $149+. (Please note that ANY subscriptions shipping to AK and HI do NOT qualify for free shipping).
We do occasionally run shipping promotions, specifically for first time customers. Join our email list for the latest updates on shipping and exclusive promotional specials.
*Standard shipping method varies given the day of the week, contents of order, and location of delivery. Oma's commits to getting the order to our customers in a reliable and timely manner. **After all discounts are applied. Excludes taxes and shipping. Free shipping does not apply to orders shipping to HI or AK.
Areas affected are those located in 4 - 7 day shipping zones (green, purple, yellow, dark blue).
Where do you currently ship?
Oma's Pride currently ships anywhere in the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) via FedEx. Unfortunately, we do not offer international shipping at this time. We're working on it...
ORDERING & CHECKOUT QUESTIONS
I noticed one of your products is Out of Stock. When can I expect it back in stock and how can I be notified?
Given our wide product offering, and the fluctuations in raw material availability, we do not currently announce when items are out of stock or return to stock. We are working to integrate a feature to improve this in the near future. We do, however, work to keep all items stocked and are proud to say that we held 95% product availability across all of 2021.
COUPON CODES & PROMOTIONAL QUESTIONS
Can I redeem more than one coupon code at checkout?
Currently our system only allows for one coupon code redemption per online order. It's something we are working on for the future. Be sure to choose the best coupon code available based on your specific order.
When will Oma's Pride be running their next online sale?
We do not release a schedule of our promotions, as sales are often dictated by product availability and market conditions. We do encourage you to follow us on social (Facebook & Instagram) and join our email list for the latest updates on sales and exclusive promotional specials.
I have a coupon code but it's not working!
Many of our coupon codes do have an expiration date, so please make sure to use the code within the specified time period stated in the code's fine print. If the code does not have an expiration date and is still not working, it may mean the coupon code may not apply to the items you are trying to purchase. Unless otherwise specified, our coupon codes do not apply to any raw or frozen items, subscriptions of any kind, merchandise, grooming products, or gift certificates.
Where do I put in my coupon code?
You will have the chance to type in a coupon code either by viewing your cart or during the checkout process. Type the code in the space provided, and click "APPLY".
How do I redeem a gift certificate?
Gift certificates are sent via email and will come with a unique code. You will have the chance to type in a this code either by viewing your cart or during the checkout process. Type the code in the space provided, and click "APPLY". Any money not used on the card, will remain as credit in your account to use on a future purchase.
If I have a subscription, do I get free shipping?
All standard subscriptions are eligible for free shipping. Custom subscriptions with a cart total of $149+ are eligible for free shipping. Unfortunately, any subscriptions shipping to Alaska or Hawaii, are NOT eligible for free shipping.
*answer here *
*answer here *